Thursday, January 14, 2010

Neverland Seems to be Fading Away








The word on the street here is, we are experience the most snowfall in Kurobe in about twenty years. On every block there are heavily dressed Japanese of various ages and sizes shoveling snow on every corner, and every car seems to barely avoid a collision with something. The boy students are pushing each other around in it and the girls are freezing their revealing legs. And of course, the teachers are saying that finally the youth is realizing what they dealt with every day when they grew up ... uphill both ways in the snow.




Well, this morning I definately thought the snow was quite a lot, quite a lot more than I've ever seen, but I wasn't aware of just how much. When I arrived at school, attendence was minimal, and a great fuss was buzzing about the office. I realize that someone is trying to find someone else at the top of the chain to cancel class today.




"What? Really? They might cancel school here in Japan?"




Something that is quite a rarity, in fact it seems maybe only happens once every twenty years with this kind of snow.




"What? Really? Class is cancelled today?" I confirm with a teacher who has quite a grin on their face.




By now I have been fantasizing about returning home to sleep, and basically, do whatever I want!




"Well, is there anything I should do to help get the students out? Or can I just go home?"




Can you guess what happens next? ...




"What? Oh no no no, 'class' is cancelled, but the teachers need to stay at school. It's a business day, ne?"




Wow ... I am getting old ... or at least filling an adult role at this point in time. How could I possibly think that I would go home? What an immature thought. Is this what it is to be an adult? Getting excited about not having class so that you can plan more classes or look busy without having to stress? Images of my teacher asking what I do at night flash in my mind. This is after I ask am them how they are doing and they answer that they're exhausted because they've been grading papers long into the night. They seem less than excited about my three week vacation in New Zealand and weekend trips snowboarding. Wow again. This is my first experience with a job of such responsibility, and it is very provocative. I actually enjoy teaching in a highschool atmosphere, and appreciate the respect the Japanese treat their high school teachers, but I don't know about the extra stuff.




Neverland looks a little farther away, but don't worry! I will keep its bearing, and get my jetpack ready in case of an emergency escape. Plus, after the initial shock of it all, I decided to have fun anyway, and had a great day doing my own thing, and doing some good lesson planning as well. I even stayed later than I had to. So its not so bad.




Plus, on my way home I saw a boy maybe 8 years old, ominously packing a clump of snow into a ball and looking at me without trying to with what seemed like a sizeable grin. I passed, and awaited a clump in my back. ..




and kind of wish I got one.






No comments:

Post a Comment